February 15, 2008

a test of patience

While attempting to fit in somewhat to Kenyan culture, one of the challenges for me has been learning to be flexible with my plans, both socially and at work. In Canada, I consider myself to be a fairly laid-back and flexible person. I like spontaneous adventures, I like wandering and seeing where the day takes me. If there are last-minute changes to plans, hey, no problem. I'm sure that I've also frustrated many a friend with my cavalier attitude towards punctuality. Now I really know how they feel.

Here it seems as though everything is last-minute and spontaneous. This goes both ways: planning anything in advance is completely fruitless, and when unexpected activities come up, you just have to go with it. If you had arranged to meet with someone for a meeting or at a bar, expect them to show up hours late or not at all. A few days later, however, they'll be calling you up demanding to know where you are and insisting that you come over right that instant, no matter what you're doing. Short excursions easily turn into day-long trips as people drag you around to see this or that place and to meet so and so.

At first it was a bit difficult not to take it personally when plans changed suddenly, especially when it had been something that I was looking forward to. But I've also had some great times as a result of letting go of my expectations and just going along with things. Getting angry with people won't help -- they're not really being rude. They're just operating with a different sense of time and scheduling. It's my cultural baggage to deal with, since it's not something that's about to change no matter how much I pace and curse. Of course, there are situations, particularly when it comes to work, when being patient and waiting for the other person to come around is not appropriate. Sometimes you have to push in order to get things done. But for the most part, it's time to let go of expectations. Live in the moment. And until I adapt, all I can do is smile, grit my teeth and say hakuna shida -- no problem. Really.

On the political front, negotiations continue at a game lodge in Tsavo National Park. Everyone involved is remaining tight-lipped, but that doesn't stop wild speculation from everyone else. From what I've been reading, the country has been peaceful for that past few days. The worst stories have been coming from the displaced peoples' camps, as the media has begun to explore the potential long-term effects, particularly on children. Many of the kids in these camps have not only witnessed neighbours, classmates and family members being attacked or killed, but have also experienced violence, sexual abuse and destruction firsthand. Most of them have still been unable to return to their home schools or enroll in new schools, and there is simply not enough support in camps to provide them with any kind of real teaching. The form four (grade 12) students who were supposed to take their final exams this year may miss the registration date, and even if they are able to take the exam, it will be difficult to do well if most of their books and study materials have been destroyed. Without their final exam certificate, they will be unable to graduate from high school, which will hurt their job prospects and chances of getting a post-secondary education. Free secondary school education was also supposed to be implemented after the elections, but that has been put on the back burner while the government sorts itself out. And who knows how long that will take. It's yet another test of patience.

4 comments:

lavoisierian prophet said...

the art of patience, eh?... hehe nice blog... i like it! no, i mean "i love it"...

Anonymous said...

*snicker* I never thought I'd see the day when Kat become flustered from people being late for plans... finally, justice. ;-)

Unknown said...

Hush, you ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree with this "Dan" character.

even my ingenious "I'll invite her to come half an hour earlier than I expect to be there" scheme was ineffective against SOMEBODY's insatiable curiousity/laid-backededness.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...neener-neener-neener!

Or maybe "I miss you"...either way...

Oh! There's a new employee at the International Grill at school where I get my curry everyday. She reminds me so much of you that I teared up the first time she took my order...it was a little awkward.

*voice choked with emotion*
"I'd like the daily curry on brown rice, please" *whimper*