February 26, 2009

coming home

Tonight, George and I return to Dar es Salaam. We'll be sleeping there, then tomorrow head off for a final trip to the beach. In the evening, I'll be boarding a flight to Switzerland, and expect to arrive in Canada in the afternoon on the 28th. It's going to be tough to leave -- I've become very used to the East African pace of life, and the way that people relate to one another with warmth and humour. North America feels so much more impersonal in comparison. I'm going to miss the music, the food, the dancing, the vibrant and sometimes hilarious styles of dress, the sense of community and communal responsibility. But there is a lot to look forward to as well. It's going to be amazing to see my friends and family again. I'm looking forward to listening to CBC and going to see some live indie and jazz shows. And it will be quite novel to be the one who's always considered to be late, rather than the one who's always late, but early compared to everyone else. And the food! Well, I'm sure that you all know by now that I love food, and there's so many foods that I miss that I could dedicate an entire entry to that. But I'll spare you my culinary ramblings. It's also going to be great to be able to relax at home and plan my next step.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with this blog now, whether I'll be closing it completely, or perhaps keeping it open for random thoughts about East Africa, or for accounts of further travels. Keep an eye on this space, as I'll be figuring things out for the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, thanks for reading -- it has been a pleasure to share my travels and stories with all of you. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you soon, to share more stories in person!

With much love,
xox K

No comments: