December 2, 2008

The rest of my whirlwind stay in Cape Town passed much too quickly. After the conference, I was there for four days, and it wasn’t nearly enough neither to visit all of my family there, nor to see much of the city itself. Ah, Cape Town. What can I tell you about this place? It’s the city of my father’s childhood, and one of the most beautiful cities in the world! It has everything – mountains, including the famous Table Mountain; ocean, with both rocky and sandy beaches nearby; friendly people; fabulous restaurants and shopping. I was staying with my cousin Heidi, her husband Francois and their two daughters, Katje and Tiero, aged three and five. It was so great to stay with them and to get to know a side of the family that I haven’t had the opportunity to know well before. It’s kind of difficult when you live across an ocean from each other!

Heidi and Francois are very social people despite their hectic schedules and young kids, so with them I got a good dose of Cape Town hospitality, family and friends. One of the gatherings we attended was a birthday party for Francois’ sister-in-law, and it reminded me so much of the barbecues and picnics that Grandma and Grandpa used to have (and that Grandma still has when us kids are around). All the lovely food: the briyani, chicken curry, samosas, chicken wings, fish cakes and salads. The family and friends all gathered together in one place. There’s a way of relating to others, of speaking and cooking that is so unique to the Cape Town Coloured community, which I never recognized as being part of a distinct culture when I was younger. It’s amazing to see where your own family fits into this group that I hardly knew anything about until a few years ago.

I spent a day at the beach in Simon’s Town with my aunt Catherine, cousins Greg and Carol, and Carol’s two daughters, Yusrah and Annika (someone please correct me if I’ve spelled their names wrong), who I think are also three and five. That side of the family had visited Canada occasionally when I was growing up, but I hadn’t seen any of them in a few years, so it was wonderful to catch up over fish and chips. Later we met up with Carol’s husband Nazeem and her son Mujaheed, who was only four the last time I met him (and is now nine). The kid actually remembered me – his first words to me were, “Auntie Kaitlin, you look different!” So cute. I also had a lovely lunch followed by a drive to Hout Bay with another cousin, Thelma. All in all it was a very successful visit, though I didn’t have time to see half the people I had wanted to see.

What with all the visiting and running around there wasn’t a lot of time to see Cape Town, but I saw enough to know that I will definitely visit again. Next time I’m around, I’ll make a point of blocking off at least a couple of weeks for South Africa. I did have an odd feeling while in Cape Town, though. My first impressions were that the city centre was so clean and organized and empty – it made me feel as though I were in North America again. I felt a little “homesick” for Nairobi, so I don’t know what it will be like when I’m actually back in North America. Of course, that’s just the shiny, tourist-friendly city centre. I know that other parts of the city aren’t so glossy and safe.

My travels have come to an end, for the time being. While my trip was fantastic, I must say that I’m thrilled to be back in Nairobi after about a month and a half. It is so nice to have a home base and a little stability again. But beyond that, I’ve missed the noise, the colour and the chaos. There’s just so much attitude, humour and swagger in Nairobi. There’s nowhere else quite like it.

No comments: